Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default 9.9hp outboard question ?

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi, I have the 9.9 OMC use as trolling more than high speed, probably
99%
trolling 1% higher speed and it works fantastic for years and now this
year
it just isn't idling. It is starting with help of choke and runs at
higher
RPM then when try to idle or lower RPM it stalls out. If I hit the choke
can stop the stall but same situation happens. I changed the fuel, have
new
hose now, new plugs and engine is newer model with gear shift in the
front,
maybe about 12 years old. I may have ran a few tanks of high test with
the
ethenol or methonal or alcohol in it that the Sonoco sells. I put that
high
test in it last couple years. Northern Ontario and runs in fresh water
only
and seasonal. Funny thing is it worked fantastic last year and now this
year
just wont idle, our winter wasn't that bad, I storred it correctly.
Any suggestions or recommendations to try? thnx

That's easy. The carburetor has gotten some water or shellac or other crud
from old fuel sitting in the float bowl from the last time you used it.

You must remove the carburetor and remove the float bowl. Then you need to
clean any scum, water and other residue from the float bowl and from the
jets (orifices) you can see and/or remove. A bristle pulled from a wire
brush is often an efficient way to clean the crud out of the small
orifices. You probably have a low-speed orifice clogged as it won't idle
but chances are ALL the orifices have some degree of crud in them. Best to
clean them all thoroughly while you have it apart.

Wilbur Hubbard