Gary Schafer

Default Icom 802 troubleshooting

I haven't read everything that Gordon West has written. But some of
the stuff, especially the comparisons he makes between systems, leaves
a little to be desired.

If he says "we no longer need huge amounts of ground foil etc. because
of modern tuners", what does that tell you? That is like saying "my
radio puts out a good signal". Compared to what?

Modern tuners don't help the ground situation one bit. They haven't
changed the laws of physics. The only thing a modern tuner does is let
you get away with a poor ground system easier than the old manual
tuners. Much less work involved to get the radio to operate. Not that
it operates any better though.

Just look at the quality of some of the SGC radios. Is it any wonder
their manuals are a little off.

I have seen countless manufacturers with very poor antenna system
installation advice.

Some people have finally realized that a good connection to the sea
water is an excellent ground. Gordon West Being among them.

Now if only people would come to realize the importance of SHORT
ground leads.

Regards
Gary

On 22 Nov 2003 10:15:46 -0800, (Mark Reichow)
wrote:

A valid point but Gordon West also states that with the modern
couplers/tuners, we no longer need to run huge amounts of ground foil
and to link EVERY thru-hull to have a good ground plane. It used to
be that a MINIMUM of 100 sq. ft. of counterpoise was recommended.
He's a ham who writes books and magazine articles offering advice on
the best way to install your HF radio system. I don't think he'd risk
his rep telling you to install an inferior ground plane just to sell
some foil. And I don't think SGC has a monetary interest in telling
us to mount the coupler as close to the base of the antenna as
practical. In any case, I've istalled my system and others this way,
all with great success. Regards, Mark

Gary Schafer wrote in message . ..
You don't suppose they are trying to sell ground foil do you? :)

Ask Bruce about ground planes on fly bridges. :)

Regards
Gary

On 22 Nov 2003 04:18:15 -0800,
(Mark Reichow)
wrote:

Also read Gordon West's excellent primer on radio gound planes for
boats. It comes packed with the West Marine 2" copper foil gound kit,
which by the way comes in 25' AND 50' lengths. (That may say
something about the length of gound leads right there.) He points out
that the tuner is mounted next to the antenna on the flybridge of
power boats, and at the base of the antenna (backstay) of sailboats.