Larry W4CSC

Default Speed log

On 19 Nov 2003 11:24:07 -0800, (skiman) wrote:

I have a gulfstar 36 with an old speed log. Don't know the
manufactuer. I want to know what type of signal is sent from the log
in hopes of networking it to a nmea multiplexer.

It's just a pulse every time the paddle wheel passes the pickup coil.
It's magnetic. Works like an old analog tach in an old car.

The only way NMEA will come out of it is if the control head has
digital electronics in it. Otherwise, you're stuck with the MUCH more
accurate speed of your GPS receiver......

73 de Larry W 4 C S C
h h o a
i a u r
s r t o