Len Krauss

Default Capn v.6.1 question??

Steve,

The way I understand it, USB is used in place of the old 9-pin serial port
and properly configured should work just like it. Thus, particular outgoing
sentences can be sent to lots of places but are only effective for
whatever's attached that understands and is ready to receive those
particular types of output. An autopilot instruction sent to a GPS is
ignored. Similarly, even valid data reaching a GPS that's not in mode to
receive it is ignored. At least that's my take on it.

I just finished setting up a Capn 6.1 driven nav system and was concerned
about conflicts being created by having steering data sent to several
places. I learned from a couple experts that it's not a problem, although I
was working with a 9-pin serial port. If it was USB instead, I would have
set it up to work like a 9-pin port.

Len
--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

I have a dedicated GPS module on the USB port of my laptop. Works great

and
the Capn finds the data from the GPS without a problem.. This is a one way
communication with the laptop. GPS talker, Laptop Listener.

However, if I want to send course correction via NMEA 183 sentence, they
have to go out a serial port.

I can't seem to find a way to tell The Capn to send this info out a

standard
serial port, once it finds the GPS data on the USB port.

I haven't been able to get any help for Nautical Technologies since I
haven't upgraded my software since v. 7.x came out. My laptop isn't fast
enough to run the lastest version.

Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions