Bruce in Alaska

Default How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF

In article t,
"Doug K7ABX" wrote:

In addition to the trusty old Bird 43, I love my MFJ-259B HF/VHF SWR
Analyzer. It allow me to check an antenna without transmitting. Those
expensive Shakespeare antennas with the cell phone, VHF high band filters,
etc., are frequently mistuned right out of the box. Checking them at the
shop by sweeping through the marine band for good SWR has saved me a lot of
time and frustration of installing a brand new antenna on a boat and then
finding out it is bad out of box. Another use of the MFJ is trying
different positions of an antenna to find a location where adjacent metal is
not causing problem. I used it to find the best compromise location on my
van motorhome for a 2 meter bumper mounted colinear antenna that the close
proximity of the van metal sides interfered with.
Doug K7ABX

Yep, I use an Impedance Bridge on my Cushman CE50A1 for doing that job.
It is very nice to have all the right tools, to do the job.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @