Doug Dotson

Default Quadrafiliar Heliz antenna newsgroup?

Might work. Setting up a balun to work with it might be tricky
though.

Doug

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Glenn, have you ever tried alarm window foil in a turnstyle pattern
taped to a fiberglass deck? Radio Shack has the foil tape and
connecting terminals. Works as good taped to the inside of the deck
in the cabin as it does outside taped to the top of it.

Of course, it doesn't look as neat as an Andrews radome, but clutters
the boat a lot less...(c;

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:58:12 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Jim Woodward wrote:
We had a QH for weather satellites on Swee****er and I might do the
same on Fintry -- as a practical matter it's a fun toy, but you need
other weather information as well.

I like to put the picture beside the current surface analysis to get a
feel for what is happening. A sequence of 3 or 4 passes really shows
the movement of a weather system.

Why not just use copper -- the conductivity of stainless is only 2%
of copper, so there are surely some issues there?

Mainly for apearance. The QFH will mount on the stern rail at eye
level. My copper versions are hard copper tube and elbows. Soft copper
is to soft to stand up to a careless hand or a boarding wave. The
stainless tube looks less like a plumber's nightmare and will not turn
green.

The resistance of the stainless tube is the thing that worries me. The
balun design I came up with balances 1/2" copper tube to 50 ohms almost
perfectly but changing the diameter to 3/8" stainless is going to change
the impedance. I just don't know how much and in which direction.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"