Bruce in Alaska

Default How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF

In article ,
"Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at attbi dot com wrote:

Good explanation, thanks. Questions:

1) You suggest the possibility of leaving the meter in the line permanently.
Doesn't the impedance bump of a PL-259 speak against that?

2) Since the meter is not type accepted, is leaving it in permanently
technically an FCC violation?

3) I went to
http://www.wzpxtv.com/wzpxtransmitter.htm
and saw a bunch of readouts. The readout labeled "VSWR" (which I think is
the same thing) was reading 0.80 or 0.70.

4) What do you like other than the cheap white crap for antenna cable? I
used Belden 9913 (solid center conductor) on Swee****er. Is that still a
good choice?

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

1. PL-259's do leave an impedance bump in the line, that's true, but the
significance of that is questionable, as to the effect on Radio
Operation.

2. Only Active Transmitters and Receivers are Type Accepted by the FCC.
Passive components like coax, antennas, power supplys, ect are up to
the licensee to deal with and not subject to FCC as they aren't addressed
in Part 80.

3. Been using 9913 since I did some of the original enviormental
testing for Beldon. I use it darn near everywhere. Just remeber that it
has a Bend Radius of about 8" and if you kink it, you just trashed it.
Connectors for 9913 are a bit different to install, and AMP had to
come out with a new shinch design for their N Type Connectors for 9913.
also if you get a split in the jacket, water can be a real problem
in 9913.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @