Larry W4CSC

Default How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:41:08 -0500, "Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at
attbi dot com wrote:

Good explanation, thanks. Questions:

1) You suggest the possibility of leaving the meter in the line permanently.
Doesn't the impedance bump of a PL-259 speak against that?

Another myth. The impedance bump might mean something on 5.4 Ghz, but
this is VHF-FM. It makes no difference, whatsoever. Put this myth in
the same class as the CBers working hard to correct that 1.1 SWR...(c;

2) Since the meter is not type accepted, is leaving it in permanently
technically an FCC violation?

No, it's not. It's not an amplifier.......

3) I went to
http://www.wzpxtv.com/wzpxtransmitter.htm
and saw a bunch of readouts. The readout labeled "VSWR" (which I think is
the same thing) was reading 0.80 or 0.70.

Hmm.....SWR doesn't come in levels under 1.0, which is perfect. Might
have been reflected power in kilowatts at a TV station.

4) What do you like other than the cheap white crap for antenna cable? I
used Belden 9913 (solid center conductor) on Swee****er. Is that still a
good choice?

Belden is the best cable made. It's fine. My tongue-in-cheek comment
was about buying only WHITE "marine" coax from Waste Marine. Price
has nothing to do with cable quality, especially on boats.

An unrelated myth is about cable quality used on cable internet
connections. I know someone who was about to rip out all his house
cabling because it was RG-59 that was just fine. The cable company is
hosed with signal intrusion because they refuse to fix the problem, so
tell the customers it's their cable that's the problem. To dispel
this nonsense, I invited him to come to see how great my cable
internet was and look over my cable installation to get great ideas.
He took the bait and made an appointment to come the next day.

I disconnected my cable from the modem and hid it by pushing it back
into the floor. I took 50' of brown zipcord I use to put up speakers
in churches and ran a length from the cable company box out back, down
the side of the house, through the window next to my desk and up to a
wire to F connector adapter on the back of the modem with screw banana
jacks on it...same as outside after this "conversion".

He almost died when he saw the installation just hangin'
there......and working perfectly on the screen. I was watching Saudi
TV at 300kbps when he came through the door.

He didn't rewire the house. We found a cable guy to fix the street
feed two houses down, the one with the open shield.....

I put the coax back on my modem so none of the neighbors would be
seeing double on channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 24 and 36 from the zipcord...(c;

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"