Doug Dotson

Default Fuel tanks and SSB counterpoise.

Bare copper will corrode rather quickly. Insulated copper would be
better but the insulation will probably degrade in the UV. Bare SS
would probably be best. I have a split backstay where the split is
fairly high up. I ran a separate antenna from the masthead using
thin SS wire, small insulator at the top. Bottom had a small insulator and
a spring to absorb any mast pumping. Attached it to the radar arch. It
worked well, but not any better than the 23' fiberglass whip mounted to
the transome.

Doug

"maxlynn" wrote in message
Okay, now that you have given your opinion on Kevlar as a backstay, how
about addressing the original question - i.e., is there any conceptual
problem with wrapping a bare copper wire around it and using it for an
antenna? Has anyone done this?

And, oh by the way, how would you feel about using Kevlar as a substitute
for 1x19 in steering cables? Would it shock you to know that many boats

are
using Kevlar in this highly critical application? And have been doing it
successfully for over ten years now? Use as a backstay is pretty mundane
by comparison. And others have been using it for a similar period as
backstay material. And contrary to what you suggest, the lifetime and

other
properties of Kevlar are well understood.

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
This doesn't address your antenna question specifically, but I have to

say
that the idea of replacing a stainless wire backstay with rope just

creeps
me out. Sure Kevlar, in the appropriate size, could be stronger and

still
lighter than the wire, but its long-term durability raises some

significant
questions. The lifetime of stainless steel 1x19 and rod is well

understood,
as is the response to shock loading; I doubt that the same could be said

for
Kevlar. Your backstay's a pretty important rigging component - I wouldn'

be
inclined to screw around with it. You might also consider the long-term

cost
of more frequent replacement of the Kevlar, versus the cost of the wire

and
insulators for about a twenty-year lifetime expectancy of the SS wire

and
insulator combination.

I'm not against Kevlar in standing rigging per se, although I'd be

inclined
to use it in a "supporting role", so to speak. In fact, I'm thinking of
replacing my 7x19 SS wire running backstays on my 41' 3/4-rigged sloop

with
Kevlar the next time I re-rig, not so much to save weight as to keep

down
the chafing on my spreaders when the running backstays are housed at the
after shrouds. I just wouldn't use in in a single-point-of-failure
application such as the backstay.

Tom Dacon

"maxlynn" wrote in message
Okay, here's another question on antenna configuration. I have just

gone
through the pricing out of backstay insulators, and received the

suggestion
that a good, less expensive alternative would be to substitute a

Kevlar
backstay for the rod that I have presently, and wind a piece bare of

wire
around the Kevlar, up to near the masthead as an antenna. It is
significantly less expensive, and the Kevlar has the advantage of

being
stronger and lighter than the wire.

Anyone know of any disadvantages to this approach??

"john s." wrote in message
om...
Glenn Ashmore wrote in message
In the process of laying up the hull I incorporated a couple

hundred
sq.
ft of bronze bug screen to serve as a counterpoise. In addition

two
runs of 2" copper foil run down the center of the hull to the keel

area.
Capacitors between the foil and the keel bolts isolate any DC

from
getting back into the counterpoise. That is probably enough but

as
am
installing two aluminum tanks, I wonder how kosher it would be to

tie
them into the counterpoise with more capacitors.

It would add another 14 sq ft of coupling area but would it be
introducing other problems?

Glenn, I think you are overdoing it....I just have a copper strap

from
the ground of the antenna tuner to one keel bolt (external lead

keel)
and when I tested the syste,after installation (in New York), I got

55 report from a ham in NW Spain. The only time Herb (Southbound II)
did not hear me loud and clear was because my copper strrap had

become
corroded/
john N2ZOA/MM