Doug Dotson

Default SSB Antenna Question

I tend to believe reallity rather than what I learned in school
and work

Doug

"Larry Demers" wrote in message
I read this answer in Cruising World about two years back. It is also

on
Gordon Wests web site, I remember, but do not have the addr.

It does run counter to what I learned in school and at work though.

Larry DeMers

Bruce Gordon wrote:

In article ,
"Doug Dotson" wrote:

An issue of ME from summer before last pretty much debunked the
idea of building extensive groundplanes into the hulls of boats.

Gordon
West and a fella that was a retired Navy guy in charge of inspecting
ships for 100 sq-ft counterpoise compliance did some tests. Four
systems were tried using a modified coax switch to switch the
counterpoise between them. The systems we

1) Extensive mesh glassed into the hull of a brand new Swan.
2) Copper foil hung over the side touching the water.
3) Copper foil trailing 100' brhind the boat.
4) Copper foil wrapped around a through-hull secured with a hose

clamp.

Results: No real difference!

I haven't seen any published data like the above, anywhere. Can you
provide a URL or reference for the above? I find that "some retired

Navy
guy" to be a bit to much in the "hearsay" catagory, and I haven't paid
any attention to Gordy in years. I have spent 35 years designing,
installing, and Inspecting, LF, MF and HF Radio Systems on Vessels
ranging from 16 ft, to 600 ft, and Coast Stations in the Maritime Mobile
Radio Service throughout the North Pacific Coasts. My opinions are my
own, and are subject to my own experiences over the years. They are
shared freely, when asked for, usually. Others may, and do, hold
different opinions, that may, or may not, be mutually exclusive.

Like I stated previously, "If it were ME"

Bruce in alaska

--
Bruce (semiretired powderman & exFCC Field Inspector for Southeastern

Alaska)
add a 2 before @
Bruce Gordon * Debora Gordon R.N. Bruce's Trading Post
P.O. Box EXI Excursion Inlet South
Juneau, Alaska 99850 Excursion Inlet, Alaska 99850
www.btpost.net www.99850.net