X ` Man[_3_] X ` Man[_3_] is offline

Default For animal lovers...

On 5/5/12 10:35 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2012 08:55:57 -0400, wrote:

In ,
says...

On 5/4/2012 3:54 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 5/4/12 3:47 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 15:17:34 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 2:52 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 13:31:00 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 5/4/12 1:09 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:39:56 -0400, X ` Man

I don't do much fishing anymore. I do, however, think it is more
sporting than hunting. There's nothing sporting about seeing an
elk or a
moose a few hundred yards away and then shooting it with a high
powered
rifle and scope.

How is that any less "sporting" than sitting in the lounge of your
sport fish, sipping a cold drink, waiting for a tuna to hit one of
the
ballyhoo you are trolling?
The mate probably rigged the bait and struck the fish. All you did
was
reel it in.

Well, it is less sporting because fishing for big pelagics is a lot
more
dangerous than shooting a moose or an elk, but I'm not a fan of that
sort of "hunting," either.

It is basically the same as the canned hunt you are talking about on a
game ranch and I am not sure where the danger is ... unless the boat
sinks.

I wasn't making a comparison to a canned hunt but to "regular" hunting,
and if you've never been aboard a boat targeting 500-pound fish, you
have no idea of the dangers involved...that have nothing to do with the
boat sinking.

What dangers? We are not talking about Alaskan crab fishermen here.
How many recreational fishermen are killed every year? (tossing out
the ones who just get drunk and fall out of the boat)

You mean, other than being pulled overboard by a fish, being bitten by a
pelagic, falling and hitting your head, arm strain, neck strain, back
strain, being impaled with large fish hooks, stabbed by knives, sun
poisoning, and heatstroke, among other things?

All of those injuries could happen walking through the woods, and
dragging back a 1200 pound animal... dumb ass...

Really? You're going to be bitten by a pelagic, and be impaled with a
large fish hook in the woods???

The issue was risk (although I am not sure why Harry brought it up)
I think I would rather fall in the water than fall out of a tree stand
and I know I would rather take a fish hook on the finger than get
shot.
We won't even get into the difference between getting bit by a fish on
the deck and mauled by a bear in the woods.

I thought shooting other hunters on a canned hunt was part of the fun.
Just ask Dick Cheney.