Larry W4CSC

Default Wireless 802.11 NMEA server

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:49:10 -0500, "Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at
attbi dot com wrote:

Larry and Todd:

It's not quite so simple -- take a look at
http://www.mvfintry.com/pix/portland800.jpg.

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is
spelled correctly.
Open the home page, and then look for links to the
information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

More information:

Microsoft Support..... Here's the answer to that problem...(c;

There are two w/t compartments on the main deck and six below, all possibly
with data, as well as tanks. The wheelhouse can also be separated by a w/t
door. (Remember that in The Perfect Storm movie, Andrea Gail flooded from
the wheelhouse. What really happened, we'll never know.)

But, through all those watertight bulkheads, there are wires going
through stuffing tubes, right? Are all the wires Navy style with
armored shields around them?

Maybe you guys are right -- that wireless would work fine -- certainly there
are a lot of openings in the bulkheads, although they're all small (2" tops)
and sealed with intumescent caulk to keep fire and flood in one place if
they happen -- AC, DC, H&C potable water, sal****er fire main, black and
gray water, compressed air, diesel, and all the information wires.

Oh, the memories. We did an electrical hazard inspection from Shop 51
CNSYD on the USS Saratoga, the old CV in Jacksonville. My God, what a
mess she was. 64,000 electrical hits, 29,000 of them Class 1 (must be
fixed before restarting the inspection). After two of our tiger team
got hurt reaching up into wireways to trace cables they couldn't see,
the team leader forbad anyone reaching up into any space he couldn't
see his hand in. 440VAC, 400Hz bites HARD! Shake a wireway and
sparks shot out all over! Hot wires just layin' up in there!

The main electrical feeds go down through the voids on either side of
the ship. We traced these big 3phase wires to a bulkhead but they
just disappeared on the other side. We found a void noone ever cut a
hatch into! The shipfitters cut a hole in it big enough for an
inspection hatch and we found three cables, about #0000, DANGLING FROM
THE STUFFING TUBES for a length of over 35'! The ship motion had
swayed them back and forth, banging them against the bulkheads and
wrenching the cables where they went through the stuffing tubes until
the bare conductors were breaking apart! All this from the last yard
period about 2 years previous. Someone forgot to tie them up and
install an inspection hatch! NAVSEA was horrified....(c;

The whole inspection was because of that cruiser that caught fire off
Lebanon way back in the early 80's and the fire followed the wiring
through open, unpacked collars from compartment to compartment. On
Saratoga, alone, we ran Florida, Georgia and South Carolina suppliers
out of TempSeal to pack them with. Some collars on that carrier are
36" wide by 8-10" high with only a couple of cable running through
them!

Poor Sara....many she rest in peace.

Oh, another fun discovery before I quit.

I opened up the fan room that provides fresh air for Central Control,
the engineering space where they control all the propulsion from. The
huge fan in there puts a big vacuum on this compartment, which gets
its intake up a shaft alley under the flight deck. There was a
thermostat in there to measure incoming air temperature in the
compartment. The capillary tube for this thermostat went through the
deck through a FOUR INCH HOLE someone had cut out with a torch, then
they dropped the tube down into the compartment below.

I got the chief engineer and showed him this hole. "Commander, look
down through that hole and tell me what you see.", I requested. "I
see some big piece of equipment.", he replied. "We thought so, too.
IT'S THE TOP OF THE #2 BOILER! How many people in Central Control
will die if that boiler explodes or leaks combustion fumes sucked up
by that fan?", I asked, politely. He never answered, running out of
the compartment to find the idiot who torched that hole.....Boy he was
****ED!

Question then, given that running wire is really easy, because we'll have
the conduit for phone, burglar, fire alarm, audio, etc. anyway (sure, maybe
all of these can be wireless also, but there are some security issues,
etc.), am I better off with wired or wireless? If Larry's right and 802.11
will really reject everything that it might meet, is it a more robust
installation to go wireless? This assumes that all of the primary stuff on
the bridge is wired -- we're talking about personal computers (in the
broader sense of the words) and a couple of non-critical remote readouts
here.

Naw, in your application, I'd make sure it was all wired. I agree
with the other posters hard wires should be the primary feed for
data.....however, wouldn't it be nice to be able to see that oil
pressure on the #1 engine that faltered and our current course and
speed from the notebook in your cabin?.....(c; Or the PDA in your
pocket?

None of this will go in until we get her on this side of the pond next
summer (God willing). I'd be delighted to try it sometime after then....

Good luck to you. Give us a better URL. I'd like to have a look.

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"