X ` Man X ` Man is offline

Default Key West?

On 4/29/12 6:30 PM, Califbill wrote:
"Wayne B" wrote in message

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:26:38 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

Thinking of a trip to the keys. What is the best time of year?
weather,
heat, humidity. Any place better as a base than others? Skiff Rentals?
Good tarpon guides?

===

There's Key West and then there's everything else. Key West has the
night life and touristy hustle and bustle but it also has a great
water front with lots of charter fishing opportunities, boat rentals,
sunset excursions on sailing schooners, glass bottom boats, etc.
From a location standpoint, one of the best places to stay is the
Galleon Hotel.

http://www.galleonresort.com/

As Greg points out, house rentals are a good option for stays of a
week or more. There are many choices in all price ranges. If you
Google up "Key West house rentals" you'll get a lot of hits.

On the other hand if you prefer a quieter setting the mid-Keys area
around Marathon has a lot to offer. We once stayed in a place called
the Rainbow Bend Resort which has sort of a funky old Florida feel to
it. The rooms were nothing special but we were on the beach with a
view of the water. Best of all we had the daily use of a 13 ft
Boston Whaler, and the food was really excellent.

http://www.rainbowbend.com/

Best weather is usually in November/December and again in March/April.
Tarpon fishing starts to heat up this time of year.

So Marathon would be the better experience for the "keys experience"?

That sort of depends on what sort of keys experience you seek. We stayed
in Islamorada once for three nights at a nice place called the Cheeca
Lodge. Good fishing, good rooms, good foods, plus enough civilization
there for additional fun venues. Not inexpensive, though.
Also stayed for a few days at the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, another
nice place, and not far from Miami.