John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Key West?

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:13:22 -0400, Wayne B wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:36:26 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Apr 28, 11:26*pm, "Califbill" wrote:
Thinking of a trip to the keys. *What is the best time of year? weather,
heat, humidity. *Any place better as a base than others? *Skiff Rentals?
Good tarpon guides?

I've never been to the keys. Always wanted to go.....

===

Here's a good video of a woman fighting a big tarpon not far from
where we are docked. Might go out and try my luck in the dinghy if
the wind settles down.

I was wondering if tarpon was a good eatin' fish, so I went to find a recipe. Found this recipe,
which looks damn good:

Try this recipe and enjoy. You'll need an open pit the length of the Tarpon. Use plenty of Coal.

1 Tarpon about 80 pounds.
1 plank the length of the fish...preferrably a soft wood like pine. Hard wood ( like oak) makes for
tougher eating.
Olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika to taste.

Directions:

Pre-season the Plank with the ingredients listed above making sure to coat it all evenly.
Place the Tarpon on the plank. Wrap the Tarpon and plank in aluminum foil.
Place it on the coals.
Allow to cook for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes remove the foil and toss Tarpon in the trash.
Plank serves up to 10 people.