Todd

Default Wireless 802.11 NMEA server

Larry,

I didn't know about the B&B unit, thanks for pointing it out! I'm glad
to see other folks are doing wireless navigation on their boats.

Does the B&B unit support multiple clients (e.g. multiple laptops and
handhelds) getting the NMEA data at the same time?

Do you have the netgear and B&B running through the inverter or were
you able to wire them both into the 12V power?

It sounds like a good and inexpensive solution! That's the downside of
making a product specific for the marine industry... low volume =
higher pricing.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Marine Wireless
http://www.marinewireless.us

(Larry W4CSC) wrote in message ...
Todd, I'm using the B&B Electronics serial direct to network box
between our NMEA network and a $39 Netgear wireless router. The box
is $149, not $700 West Marine pricing. Are you using their Virtual
Serial Port software? It works great with The Cap'n, totally
transparent. The Cap'n thinks it's talking to the serial port, not
the TCP/IP of the Linksys PCMCIA card in the side of the Dell
Latitude.

Pretty cool to sit on the bow and waypoint the B&G Network
Pilot....(c;

I can also simultaneously logon to Ashley Marina's WiFi open network
near the docks very nicely. Too bad noone has a better WiFi network
out in the harbor....dammit.

The RS-232 I/O works very nicely with our Noland Multiplexer's RX/TX
port. The Cap'n gets the data and waypoints her around great!

B&B Electronics specializes in remote instrumentation......

On 6 Nov 2003 11:20:57 -0800,
(Todd) wrote:

I just want to say a big thanks to everyone on this group who
responded to my post last year regarding a wireless NMEA navigation
server. Based on your ideas and suggestions we've turned it into a
real product and are currently beta testing it with a number of boats:

http://www.marinewireless.us

Anyhow, thanks again for all the feedback and help in turning this
idea into reality. Now we'll just have to see if there is any real
market demand for wireless navigation ;-)

-Todd

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"