North Star North Star is offline

Default Comparison of Android Apps for Charting/Navigation

On Apr 26, 9:58*am, X ` Man dump-on-conservati...@anywhere-you-
can.com wrote:
On 4/26/12 8:45 AM, Tim wrote:

On Apr 26, 7:44 am, John *wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 23:31:28 -0400, *wrote:
Just found this link on another site:

http://sailing.about.com/od/SailingApps/a/5-Android-Apps-For-Boat-Cha...

Have you used any of these?

Don't know if Tim has an android phone (or even what one is, for that matter), but the apps look
useful.

Wife's got a blackberry, and I have a typical flip phone, but the
contract is coming up for renewal soon, So.....

this is something to take way into consideration!

Before you think a "smart phone" is the answer, go to a smartphone store
and take the unit(s) you are considering outside. You'll want to see
just how decent the screen is in direct or just strong outdoor light.
The screens on the smart phones I have seen fade away to illegibility
under many outdoor conditions.

I like my Garmin Map60 GPS handheld. The charts can be expensive but I
only had to buy one for the Atlantic Coast of Nova Scotia that I boat
on. The screen is amazing in direct sunlight.... Some kind of
reflective treatment.