Mark Borgerson Mark Borgerson is offline

Default Round and round we go, or, "sand in your eyes"

In article , says...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:34:02 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

What kinds of places would use Mylar patternmaking material where I might
obtain some scrap (I only need ~4" square)?

===

Sailmakers will definitely have some, possibly canvas shops. You can
usually buy individual sheets at art supply stores. It's also
possible that you could use a small piece of Strataglass or something
similar. Canvas shops will definitely have that.

Hi, Wayne, and thanks for that.

Strataglass I can come by, and it's possible that my canvas shop has some
mylar, if that's common - but I'd inferred from what you'd said that it
would be harder/stiffer than that. From our windows, it seems to me that it
would not make a very straight (straighter than saran wrap, of course!)
surface, as flexible as it is, and what I see canvas folks using for
patternmaking is VERY floppy, not very heavy stuff..

Inferred is that the stuff you're talking about is pretty flexible?

I would suggest looking for a piece of the material they use for laser
printing transparancies. IIRC, it's mylar or something similar and
reasonably available and pretty cheap.

Mark Borgerson