Glenn Ashmore

Default use standoffs between SSB coax and backstay??

GTO-15 is 15KV insulated wire and fairly standard for tuner to backstay
leads. More for safety than efficiency. The whole idea of elevated
lower insulator on the backstay is to prevent some dumb crew member from
grabbing a hot lead and getting an RF burn. The GTO limits that
possibility. The stainless strap approaching at an angle is probably
more efficient and neater looking but gives no protection. West Moron
dropped it from the Catalog this year but used to sell it for $1/ft. It
is standard material in neon shops for $.50/ft and from HVAC dealers as
spark igniter wire for $.25/ft.

Larry W4CSC wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:29:20 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

It was probably GTO-15. I would hope that who ever went to the trouble
of adding the standoffs would know the difference. GTO is hard to tell

from RG59 from a distance. Neon sign suppliers even have it in

decorator colors.

What the hell is GTO-15, some West Marine $20/ft trick? This isn't a
neon sign with 40KV of 60 Hz on it....IT'S RF! All the insulation in
the world isn't going stop the RF from leaking out, like it's 'spozed
ta. Lionheart's tuner is hooked to its backstay with a stainless
strap in a gentle curve held on with a stainless hose clamp.

Now that we got the damned steel cable holdin' the boom up replaced
with something that DOESN'T suck off the HF signal into the mainmast,
it works much better......well, at least until the sun exploded wiping
out the ionosphere....

73 DE W4CSC

NNNN

AR