Larry W4CSC

Default use standoffs between SSB coax and backstay??

If the backstay turnbuckle were "hot" (energized with RF) this would
be prudent because there can be considerable voltages from the tuner
on certain frequencies, such as near when the backstay is a 1/2
wavelength antenna.

The question arises, why does the coax go to the backstay AT ALL? It
goes to the TUNER who's tuned RF output goes to the backstay. I has
no business going to the backstay.

The wire from the tuner's high voltage post to the backstay shouldn't
be coax, either. Coax has LOTS of capacitance to the shield and if
some idiot grounds it it will decouple the RF off to ground at the
higher impedances.... A heavy wire should hook the tuner to the
backstay as it's just part of the antenna.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:32:57 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:

The other day I was wandering around one of our marinas trying to steal
ideas from other boats and I came across an aluminum pilot-house sloop that
may have come over from Europe. I noticed that the SSB coax was held away
from the backstay turnbuckle and wire by ~1 inch plastic spacers. I've
never seen this before and the previous owner didn't do it on my boat. I've
been thinking of upgrading the ancient SSB system on my boat and was
wondering if these standoffs were something recommended.
Anyone know about these? Thanks
Gord

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"