Doug Dotson

Default use standoffs between SSB coax and backstay??

If it is feeding a backstay, coax is not the best solution. GTO-15
high voltage wire is the proper choice. If the lower part of the
backstay is insulated from the rest of the boat then standoffs
are not necessary but the part below the insulator becomes part of
the antenna. Don't touch it while transmitting. If the lower part
of the backstay is connected to the bonding systems or a metal hulled
boat then insulators are necessary. The cheapest ones I have seen are short
lengths
of PVC pipe notched at the ends to nestle against the wire and backstay.
Then
a wire-tie is threaded around the backstay, through the pipe, around the
wire and back. Works well and is cheap. Probably have to replace them
every couple of years due to UV degradation.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
The other day I was wandering around one of our marinas trying to steal
ideas from other boats and I came across an aluminum pilot-house sloop

that
may have come over from Europe. I noticed that the SSB coax was held away
from the backstay turnbuckle and wire by ~1 inch plastic spacers. I've
never seen this before and the previous owner didn't do it on my boat.

I've
been thinking of upgrading the ancient SSB system on my boat and was
wondering if these standoffs were something recommended.
Anyone know about these? Thanks
Gord