Glenn Ashmore

Default use standoffs between SSB coax and backstay??

I think I read somewhere that the high voltage GTO wire should optimumly
approach the backstay at right angles. Something about when the lead
runs close and parallel to the grounded section some power is leached
off. Not real practical in most cases though. Stand offs about 1 1/2"
long keep the lead wire away from the stay enough to prevent significant
loss and are a pretty good way to keep things neat but probably not the
most electrically efficient.

OTOH, if you have this RF hot wire running up the stay where anyone can
grab it, why have a lower insulator in the first place? I am
considering not grounding the backstay chainplate and feeding the tuner
directly to one of the bolts. Just have to remember to yell "If you
have to pee off the stern rail Don't hold the backstay!" before sending
any e-mail. :-)

Gordon Wedman wrote:
The other day I was wandering around one of our marinas trying to steal
ideas from other boats and I came across an aluminum pilot-house sloop that
may have come over from Europe. I noticed that the SSB coax was held away
from the backstay turnbuckle and wire by ~1 inch plastic spacers. I've
never seen this before and the previous owner didn't do it on my boat. I've
been thinking of upgrading the ancient SSB system on my boat and was
wondering if these standoffs were something recommended.
Anyone know about these? Thanks
Gord

--
Glenn Ashmore