Larry W4CSC

Default Save your Win 3.1 notebook for NMEA testing.....

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:36:07 +0100, "Ger"
wrote:

"Larry W4CSC" schreef in bericht
Garmin's protocol, I believe, still uses ASCII characters, which WILL
display fine under the simple terminal program.....but not in NMEA
statements.

Nope. It does *not* use ASCII characters. Besides that: it is a handshaking
protocol, which means it is bi-directional, NMEA is not. Furthermo it
works at 9600bps, whilst NMEA works at 4800bps. So you will never get any
readable results using Hyperterminal with NMEA settings.

Hmm....thanks for the info. We only gots one Garmin, an old 185 for
backup, and it's always set to NMEA0183 in/out.

Damn them all for this proprietary crap!

If BOATERS would quit BUYIN' "Proprietary", they'd all quit making it!

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"