Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Loran vs GPS

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:55:02 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

My friend has a Loran unit installed but uses GPS. It's interesting to
cruise and compare the two units. The Loran is "not bad" for accuracy but I
wouldn't want to rely on it to navigate a channel in the fog.

I think he is wise to keep the unit. It's already installed and if for
whatever reason he has a failure of his GPS he can still direct assistance
to his location.

That is what I do. I don't see any reason to get rid of it as long as
it works. And, Loran is fine for a foggy channel if you have been
there before and added waypoints in the channel.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light