Larry W4CSC

Default Save your Win 3.1 notebook for NMEA testing.....

Garmin's protocol, I believe, still uses ASCII characters, which WILL
display fine under the simple terminal program.....but not in NMEA
statements.

The Garmin in question was set to NMEA in and out in its setup
program.....(c;

The test set works great on Seatalk, too!

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:12:36 +0100, "Ger"
wrote:

"Larry W4CSC" schreef in bericht

I needed this to figure out which of just two pieces in a simple NMEA
connection was "bad". The guy had a Garmin GPS hooked to a Yeoman
Sport XL plotter. I confirmed the wires were connected properly and
nothing was shorted out. I could see data flowing on the NMEA lines
with my Radio Shack Data Probe, but had no way of looking at the data
to see if it were valid.

It wasn't. The Garmin was transmitting garbage and has been returned
for repair. To confirm it, I took my Eagle handheld GPS and hooked it
to the Yeoman, which instantly found its position on the chart, to the
delight of its owner. He'll use his handheld until the Garmin comes
back.

The Garmin was most probably not transmitting garbage but trying to
communicate using its own native protocol, which is not understood by a
Yeoman and also not by your clever NMEA test set-up.
You need to set-up all Garmins to have them transmit proper NMEA sentences,
otherwise they use their own protocol.
--
Rgds,
/Ger Rietman

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"