Steve

Default Grounding Gas Tank - Curious

It's been a long time since I have had a gasoline boat, but I do remember
that there was a requirement for a bonding wire in the 'approved' fuel hose
leading from the deck fill to the tank and a bonding from the tank to the
boat bonding system.. Here is the trick. When you install the hose to the
deck fitting and the tank, you are suppose to expose the bonding wire and
fold it back inside the hose so it contacts the metal fittings.

Yes gas pumps have a bonding wire inside their hoses and your are suppose to
make contact with the metal nozzle to the cars metal fill before starting
pumping.

If your filling your boat on a trailer at a gas station, you would discharge
any static by touching the nozzle to the metal fill fitting, same as a car.

Filling with a plastic gas can presents another problem and may be the
reason that some marinas don't allow you to refuel you boat at their slips.

Then there will be those who have argued that they never hear of boat fuel
explosions so it must be ok to fuel from a plastic gas can.. Just not next
to my boat, please.

This summer I heard of a gas station explosion when a lady was fueling her
car, due to static elect. from her clothing.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions