Larry W4CSC

Default Laptop passive cooling idea

I agree fully with the proprietary comments. They shoot themselves in
the foot trying to keep you from hooking their gear to a competitor's
widget. Then, to make things worse, they just robbed RS-232 and
called it NMEA, which is ludicrous as a network protocol with its ONE
talker......

I knew SeaTalk had collision protocols, but didn't know it was
inverted, which is easy to fix. SeaTalk connects Lionheart's
Raymarine instruments, then the RL70CRC display does the conversion to
NMEA for me. The SeaTalk instruments are the WAAS-GPS receiver and
Raymarine's Smart Heading Sensor, which I don't think is any smarter
or more accurate than the B&G fluxgate on B&G Network Pilot....another
proprietary, queer group of instruments on the boat. At least any of
the instruments converts to NMEA and all you have to do is pull out
pin 4 data to get to it. B&G's H1000/H2000 line has only Fastnet and
you have to buy another expensive yellow plastic (of course unshielded
so it transmits into the HF at amazing levels) box that converts to
NMEA. We returned the H1000 Sailnet sold us because H1000 Pilot
wouldn't take instructions from its NMEA converter box or the chart
plotters/computers hooked to it. Network Pilot works great off NMEA.
It's "obsolete".

Larry....

I'll check out your program but we already have The Cap'n and its data
panel on the notebook at the nav station....

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"