Albert P. Belle Isle

Default SSB Weatherfax Receiver

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:39:23 GMT, Albert P. Belle Isle
wrote:

Zac,

As is apparent from my signature block below, I'm a bit of a radio
fanatic when it comes to home use.

However, for my Hunter 310 I bought an Icom R-75 receiver to feed my
laptop for HF-Fax, Halifax (CFH) RTTY weather broadcasts and NAVTEX
broadcasts. The receiver works well with either its AC power brick on
AC shorepower, or directly from a 12v accessory socket.

Best of all, it's a pretty good approximation to my mulit-$k rackmount
receivers for US$450 (from Ham Radio Outlet).

Another possibility you might consider (as I did) is the somewhat
dated (but still very good) Yaesu FRG-100 (at the same price).

Zac,

I forgot to mention another receiver option, the Ten-Tec RX320.

It's a better receiver than either the Icom or Yaesu, using digital
signal processing for its IF filtering and demodulation functions.

It also runs on 12vdc, either from an included power brick or boat
power, and only costs $300.

However, it is a "black-box" computer-controlled receiver, that would
require you to use additional (free) software to control it.

The advantage of the R75 is that I can listen to broadcast programming
(or voice weather broadcasts) without powering-up the laptop.

Good listening,
Al
Location: 42N39, 71W09 (Near Boston, MA)
HF Antennas: 65ft TFD, 45ft T2FD, 28ft vertical, 65ft doublet
HF Receivers: Ten-Tec RX340, RX320, Harris R2368, Cubic R3030A
Decoders: Code300-32, Universal M-8000, PK-232MBX/DSP