Chuck Tribolet

Default Loran vs GPS

I think he's saying he's converting them by going there with the
LORAN, and seeing what the GPS says THERE, not an algorithmic
conversion.

HOWEVER: I've seen ZERO TDs posted for Northern California
dive sites. Lots of Lat/Long, some eyeball descriptions, but ZERO
TDs.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:47:27 -0300, Marahute
wrote:

It all depends what you do with your boat. If all you want to do is
travel from port to port, by all means use the GPS (and please..., get
a chartplotter.... a handheld? What are you in..., a canoe?).
You'd be hard pressed to find a chart or boating guide that posted
TD's anymore.
However, if you use your boat to fish or dive - like I do - there are
thousands of great numbers out there that are still in TD's, and only
the Loran owner can find them. And please don't tell me your GPS will
accept TD's .... the conversions are notoriously innacurate..., I
wouldn't trust them to put me within a quarter mile of the spot.
I've got a SeaRanger Loran and a Garman 320 chartplotter/sounder.
I also have a loran book from my dive club that contains nearly a
thousand TD's in the Gulf of Mexico, and am slowly converting them to
lat/lons, I love that old machine!.

Can you convert them to Lat Lons better than the GPS will? Maybe
others could use your algorithm if you post it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."