Steve

Default Power Transister or Relays??

Good Intentions is a William Akin Ingrid 38.. Double ender, full keel with
outboard rudder. (Colin Archer to some) The design displacement was to be
27,000. I've only been in the water a little over a year and at the time of
launch I was already down to the design waterline before loading the
cruising gear and provisions. So, my point, she probably displaces at least
14 ton now with 70% of the gear onboard and about 10% provisions.

Her calculated hull spd is ~ 7.5 knots and I can achieve about 6.5 with the
25 hp Volvo @ 2000 rpm and a clean bottom.

As can be seen in the picture http://hood.hctc.com/~esteve/launch15.jpg the
rudder is deep and has a lot of area. My estimate is 10 sq/ft. With the full
keel and at 4-5knots the rudder requires very little effort to steer a
straight course, however to make a hard over turn, it takes the full
strength of the helmsman on a 6 ft tiller. Part of this is due to the 37.5
deg. angle of the rudder and the fact that the prop aperture is in the
rudder.

Under sail the steering characteristics are different. Much easier on the
helmsman.

Thanks for the input Jim and everyone else. I really appreciate the
technical info.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions