Glenn Ashmore

Default NMEA mutiplexer

There was a write up in this month's Ocean Navigator. Thus far only 5
products have been fully certified but another 40 are in the process.
Teleflex has a full line of CANbus engine controls. One thing for sure,
it will be more expensive. The prices for just the cable connectors is
outrageous and no doubt we will end up eating our share of the
certification costs. NMEA charges an arm and a leg for almost
everything they do like that.

Meindert Sprang wrote:

"Glen Wiley Wilson" wrote in message

On a different subject, do you know what's going on with NMEA2000?
Did it wind up being CAN, and is anyone supporting it yet? It looks
like a sweet deal for the instrument makers. RS-232/CAN convertors
are 3 times the price of RS-422/RS-232 and it looks as if they could
potentially lock out anyone who doesn't pony up the fee to get an ID
assigned. But maybe I'm just paranoid...

Well, it's pretty expensive to get NMEA2000 running for the first product.
All standards, testsuites and manufacter- and product ID for the first
product sets you back for $10,500. So I'll stick to NMEA 0183 for a while
:-)

As far as I see it, only the big guys go for NMEA2000.

Meindert

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com