Glen

Default NMEA mutiplexer

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:22:48 GMT, (Larry W4CSC)
tempted fate with:

In the past, NMEA listeners had quite a relatively low input
resistance that loaded the circuitry, rapidly, to peak current
capacity. But, if you put your ohmmeter to the input of the new
devices, you'll find they act almost like an open circuit.

In our "No Computer" configuration on Lionheart, the RS-232 TX output
from the Noland Multiplexer is applied to the master data output
circuit that feeds all the listeners. Noland warned me it was only
capable of 15ma of current, unlike the TLK NMEA outputs which will
sink a lot more. They told me overloading or shorting wouldn't hurt
the Noland multiplexer, it would simply not have sufficient output
levels to key the listeners.

The listeners connected to the master data output a
Icom M602 VHF xcvr
Icom M802 HF-SSB xcvr
Raymarine RL70CRC radar/chartplotter
Garmin 185 GPS/Sonar
B&G Network Pilot autopilot
B&G Yeoman paper chart drafting table
and, at times, a Dell Latitude P4 notebook computer's serial port when
someone forgets to flip the switch to COMPUTER ON.

With all these loads, the 15ma output limit of the Noland multiplexer
runs them all just fine with valid data. Nothing seems unstable.....

Interesting. I'd have bet money that would be a flakey setup. You
learn something every day (well you do if you're paying attention.)
If I felt sure that my customers had someone of your expertise aboard,
I might even be comfortable recommending something like that. :-)

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at
http://www.worldwidewiley.com/