Doug Dotson

Default Power Transister or Relays??

Wow, my WH moves the rudder from stop to stop in about
3 or 4 seconds!

Doug

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
WOW! I am amazed that the AH3000 is that slow. How long does it take
to go hard over to hard over? I was thinking that 15 or 20 seconds
would be the bare minumum. 1" per minute on a 6" tiller arm would take
more than 3 minutes.

Steve wrote:

I had considered hydraulic and if I already had hydraulic on the

engine, I
probably would reconsider it.

Originally I had planned on hydraulic for the anchor windlass but found

the
Lewmar 1000 vertical and I'm now happy with that.

Also any hydraulic cylinder and hoses would be right in the cockpit

since my
rudder is 'outboard' and no provision for an inboard cylinder.

Additionally, I would have to find or build some kinda electrical to
hydraulic control valve for the AP control head to operate.

After reading Glenns comments regarding the operating speed of the screw
drive, I went to the boat and did a test to determine the rate of travel

of
the OEM (AH3000) linear drive. It is exactly 1 inch per min. with no

load.
The unit I'm considering is 3/4 inch per min.. 25% slower, however since

the
this unit has 3 times the thrust I could move the tiller attachment pin

aft
an appropriate amount to increase the rudder stop to stop travel time

and
still have the advantage of the increased dynamic and static load.

I'm going to contact the fellows at Surplus Center and see if I can get

some
more spec. info on this unit. They have been very help full in the past.

I am however taking Glenns warnings into consideration and thanks for

the
heads up.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions