Rick Morel Rick Morel is offline

Default Bum Steer - rudder gland question

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 16:56:13 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote in part:

Bum Steer - rudder gland question

Hi, all,

My rudder post is badly pitted in the area near the packing gland. The pits
cut the teflon flax packing and, eventually, no amount of tightening will
prevent water running through, and, all along, more comes than it should.

IMHO

I looked at the pics. Seems your shaft is beyond pitted!

Here's something that really works. It's used on tractors, big trucks
and boats. Should last longer than us and "Flying Pig" on a rudder
post.

http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDu...ediSleeve.aspx

Do a Google search on it as well.

Having the shaft welded, turned down and a lot of times straightened
(it warps from the heat) is kind of 50-50 compared to the cost of a
new shaft.

Re grease and a zerk on the stuffing box. This used to be standard in
the old days and works well. It's no longer legal as it violates the
oil discharge reg. However, I did use that method for a while until I
could replace an egg-shaped, wallowed out stuffing box. It's legal if
you use animal lard or something like Crisco. Be sure you have your
dedicated animal/vegatable grease-gun handy in case you're checked.
And to top off - it won't last as long.

Rick