Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default Bum Steer - rudder gland question

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:30:28 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Bum Steer - rudder gland question

Hi, all,

My rudder post is badly pitted in the area near the packing gland. The
pits
cut the teflon flax packing and, eventually, no amount of tightening
will
prevent water running through, and, all along, more comes than it
should.

Clarifying terminology:

Rudder stock is what you erroneously call rudder post.

Rudder post is the tube in which the rudder stock lives.

This might help with my suggestion of lengthening the post so as to do
away with the packing gland/hardware.

Wilbur Hubbard

Interesting, as "rudder stock" and "rudder post" seem equally correct,
or at least equally used, to describe the part that connects the
rudder itself to the means of moving it.

On the other hand "rudder tube" appears to be the usually term applied
to the tube that connects the outside of the boat to the inside, in
which the rudder post/stock turns. See:
http://www.teignbridge.co.uk/rudder_tubes.htmlfor for pictures for
those with reading difficulties.
--