Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Bum Steer - rudder gland question

Hi, Wilbur, and group,

Unfortunately, if I were to extend the rudder stock/post/etc., enough to be
above the waterline at all times, we'd have a pole running through our bed.

I fully agree that a gland is a nuisance and a half - but avoidance isn't
feasible without giving up our berth, so it ain't gonna happen.

That said, I've had many responses in a variety of venues, some lists, some
forums. One of them included a schematic for a Sabre rudder which had a
grease fitting included in it, confirming the concept for grease in a
packing gland assembly. However...

The most attractive so far is contained in a response from the Morgan
mailing list with a commercial version of the sleeve concept I asked about:

Skip,
When I had the same problem with the front engine seal (oil not water
o'course) on my 4-107, I bought a "speedy sleeve" and bedded it with engine
RTV. I only did the RTV because if it were not the solution I'd have to take
it off and didn't want to deal with epoxy. The seal was still fine with the
RTV when I sold the boat, 8 years later.

The sleeve increases the diameter so slightly that the oil seal worked fine
and did not have to be stretched.
http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDu...ediSleeve.aspx
The flange is to have something to place a pipe (over the shaft) against
when you bang the sleeve into position and is scored to break off once the
sleeve is in place.

Miller bearing used to carry them, probably still does:
http://www.millerbearings.com/locations.html

Good luck.

Merlin

I'm doing the research on that at the moment, but it appears they're
stainless steel, with some sort of hardening process on the surface of
them...

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson