garry crothers

Default Power Transister or Relays??

"Steve" wrote in message
The tiller pilots are engaged by simply lifting the end of the linear

drive
piston off the tiller pin. With my OEM linear drive, when not engaged on

the
tiller pin, it swings out of the way to a storage clip on the stern rail.

O.K I understand, I was thinking that you were going to use it below deck
directly attached to the quadrant.
In that situation you would need some sort of a clutch.
The marinising aspect might take a lot of work, that is usually the bit
where the manufactured models fall down, hence the desire to mount them
below decks if possible

BTW. The AH or ST wheel pilot, have internal belt drives with idler

rollers
on a clutch lever. Not magnetic (couldn't/shouldn't have mag. around the
cockpit) or friction clutches in these. Trust me, I've had one apart for
voyage repairs in my last boat.

Yeah, I know, have had to strip down those friction clutches myself, a real
PITA.
The one on the ST4000 is attached via two tiny roll pins that have a
tendency to shear off at awkward moments.

Re the magnetic clutch, I have seen them on the linear drive of the ST7000
ST6000 and havent noticed any problem with them affecting the compass.
But then I suppose it is fairly minimal, compared to the magnetism created
within the actuator motor itself.

good luck
garry