oscar[_2_] oscar[_2_] is offline

Default What Will GE Force Its People To Drive Now

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:47:44 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 08:37:06 -0500, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 13:35:14 -0500, BAR wrote:

The jury is in on electric cars. They are the future. The

problem is
that there hasn't been enough R&D to make them feasible yet.

The hybrid, gas-electric, is just a diesel-electric

locomotive
downsized
with the added benefit of pulling the electricity generated

from
breaking and coasting to charge the batteries. The all

electric
needs
needs work with storing enough power to be useful over a

longer
period
of time and distance.

===

I think we both agree on most of those points. Where we

seem to
disagree is whether or not it makes sense to roll out half a

loaf.

Knowing full well the limitations of half a loaf, I still say

yes.
The reason being that getting some electric cars on the road

starts to
get people thinking about the infrastucture issues (like

charging
stations and better batteries). Same thing with alternative

energy
like wind and solar. If you don't start rolling some of this

out
the public you end up with a perpetual chicken and egg

syndrome
where
you can't have the chicken because you don't yet have an egg

and
vice
versa. There are also a lot of people whose transportation

needs
would be well served right now by a car like the Volt. The

problem
is price of course, and prices will not come down until there

is
economy of scale, with the engineering and tooling costs

amortized
across a wider base. I could use a Volt right now if the

price
was
right. It would be great for running short errands and the

like,
running on gas for the occasional longer trip.

You are 100% correct, but it just gives the far right wing the

ability
to say SEE, new technology is BAD....

Got your Cheby Volt yet? Didn't think so. Me, being moderate and
slightly right leaning, prefers to wait till the elec car matures

and
shakes out most of the bugs. Buyers who must be on the bleeding

edge
will pay dearly for the privilage of owning a product that ain't
quite there yet.

By the way, you are far too polarîzed. A common trait among

democrats.

What makes you think I'm a democrat, to start with? Also, Scotty

and BAR
claim that there will never be an electric car that works!

Never say never.
I'll bet you are a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.:-)