Jeff Morris

Default LED Anchor Light

The caveat in Rule 30(b) is merely to say that smaller boats only need one light, not two.
There is nothing that implies that an anchor light must be at the masthead, it must be
"where it can best be seen." When there are two lights, the forward one must be higher.

One can make a good argument that "best be seen" is not at the masthead if the other boats
are small.

Like most sailors, however, I use the masthead light, but I often add a Davis Megalite as
a second, lower light in the cockpit.

"Jim Woodward" wrote in message
om...
For most anchorages, we prefer an anchor light much lower than the
masthead. While it's traditional, and easy, the rules don't require a
masthead light, and we think a light hanging in the foretriangle or
off the boom is more easily seen by smaller boats. You can use a six
volt lantern battery for this.

see Colregs, Rule 30(b) "A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may
exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of
the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule."

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Joe Wood wrote in message

What would drive me to go with either of the LED based solutions
discussed in this thread is their low power usage. I have the Perko
two-bulb light where each light is 750mW or 625mA for a total of 1.3A.
I have Trojan T105 Golf Cart batteries rated at a little over 200AH of
which by the rule of thumb I can only use about one-third or 70AH. If
I'm at anchor and run my anchor light for 10 hours, this comes to 13AH
just for my anchor light. This is nearly 20% of my total power budget.

Once I had to send a professional up my mast rather than doing it
myself. It cost me $120. It's good to calibrate things. These units
have lifetimes in the 10s of thousands of hours.

Joe Wood

Laurent I wrote:

I use it with no problem and a very very low consumption:
http://www.deepcreekdesign.com/firststarpage.html
Regards.
Laurent

"John Salyer" a écrit dans le message de

I've found a bunch of stuff on replacing the incandescent bulb in the

anchor

light with an LED array. But I haven't found a schematic of how to do

this.

Any help? I'd like to build an array of up to 18 super bright LED's, with

regulator. Any ideas?