Rick Morel Rick Morel is offline

Default Court Recording Link

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:28:50 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

And that is also what I experienced for whatever reason. Perhaps Rick
is using a different WAV player or possibly something went amiss in
the ZIP or upload process.

On a different topic, I thought that the transcript of Wilbur's court
hearing did a good job of pointing out the absurd situation that
boaters find themselves in when trying to comply with the law.

Someone, either Wilbur or a previous owner, spent significant money to
install a Type I MSD in an attempt to comply with the laws in effect
at that time. A Type I MSD in proper working order produces a
discharge equal to or better than a shore based municipal treatment
plant. That was all well and good until some later time when certain
individuals in government decided that no discharge at all would be
even better. Of course that totally defies logic when you consider
the relative proportion of municipal discharge versus boater
discharge. It also ignores the reality that most municipal treatment
plants are rourinely overwhelmed by storm drain runoff during heavy
rains, resulting in the discharge of millions of gallons of totally
untreated waste. The bottom line is that boaters have very little
political voice compared to municipalities. Boaters are presumed to
be wealthy and idle, and therefore fair game in the regulatory world
where bureaucrats most constantly enact new regulations to justify
their existence.

Collectively we all need to do a better job of staying in touch with
our elected representatives and making our voices heard. We also need
to cut back funding to those branches of government who are acting
irrationally, irresponsibly and contrary to our best interests

Re the WAV file. The only thing I can think of is that Win 7 has a
different format from earlier. Anyone that downloaded it have 7? I did
email a friend who has 7 this morning and asked him to check it. I
know it's no longer a problem with the MP3, but I just need to know
:-)

I remember, around 2002 I think, that a senator from Mass. and one
from LA. sponsered a bill to totally eliminate NDZ's. They looked at
the test data from the CG. The two Type I MSD's available far exceeded
the requirements of a bacterial count of 1,000 per 100 ML. One, the
Lectra/San, was a count of 0 and the other a count of 8.

Their bill was to set the requirement at 10 per 100 ML and eliminate
NDZ's altogether. Unfortunatley the bill just died from lack of
interest from the rest of the senate.

Municipal waste water treatment plants are held to the same 1,000 per
100 ML, but it seems they rarely acheive it. My older brother was a
waste water engineer and just had to test my Lectra/San. It came out
0. He was amazed and said he wished his plant could make even the
1,000. Later on, the city built a new and larger municipal plant and
he finally got his wish. For a while.

But even if the MSD did 1,000 and the munincipal plants did 1,000,
NDZ's don't make sense. The MSD is putting out the same as the
munincipal. Going to a holding tank, pumping out, treating, going into
the water are just a bunch more steps with the exact same result.

In the real world, the MSD puts cleaner stuff into the water.

Rick