posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
Bert Olton Bert Olton is offline

Default Semi OT...marlin spike knife...

On 01/15/2012 11:27 AM, TonyB wrote:

Yes, I use a Captain Currey's knife, the captain lockspike version.
http://www.captain-currey.co.uk/category.aspx?id=11 .
However, I rarely use the marlin spike as correctly tied knots are easy
to undo by hand. It is useful for the odd knot tied by others which have
become impossible to get open by hand. Being made in stainless it
doesn't rust either. No bottle opener but I have plenty of those on the
boat and on my usual pocket knife which has a few other handy little
tools as well.

Hello TonyB,

That looks like an eminently practical knife - thanks for the link. The
place from which I purchased my last two knives is:

http://www.worldknives.com/index.php

They make available a complete line of all sorts of knives, from
absolute garbage to some very, very fine items. The main clue to
quality is of course price, but they are terrific about answering phone
calls and emails in responding to questions and even giving recommendations.

The Sheffield version I bought is an excellent tool and will no doubt
out last any of the Camillus knives I've had, but it's bulkier than I
would have liked. Not a knife to carry handily in a pocket.

Bert
--
To those who have served or are serving the cause of freedom, whether in
peace or in war, at home or abroad, thank you. Si vis pacem, para