Happy John Happy John is offline

Default If this doesn't make you feel old and creaky...

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:44:57 -0500, X ` Man wrote:

On 1/15/12 12:40 PM, Happy John wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:56:33 -0500, X ` wrote:

On 1/15/12 11:48 AM, Happy John wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:08:36 -0500, X ` wrote:

On 1/15/12 11:03 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 08:17:07 -0500, X `
wrote:

Pro football has deteriorated into a gladiator sport where deliberately
inflicting injuries on opposing players is encouraged.

===

That was true even at the high school level back in the 60s. It seems
to be a part of the game that isn't talked about very much except in
the locker room. Hockey also but it has always been more overt.

I'm sure you're right. But I do remember our high school coach tossing a
"star" player off the team because he used his knees to land on the
chest/stomach of an opposing player. He was gone from the team as soon
as the whistle blew.

I don't have any problems justifying my love of boxing with my disdain
for football. Pro boxers know going into the ring that injuries are
common and likely, and that the cardinal rule is to "defend yourself at
all times." A good referee will heavily penalize a boxer who does not
conduct himself appropriately, and the boxing commission will ban a
boxer who refuses to play by the rules. Somehow a 10-yard-penalty for
deliberately kneeing another player in the neck seems inappropriate.

But, let's agree that a boxer's purpose is to inflict injury on his opponent. I cannot see how
purposeful injury is 'good' in one sport and 'callous' in another.

Litle consistency there.

Of course. Inflicting injury is part of boxing. Is it supposed to be a
part of football?

The 'legal' infliction of injury is suitable. The 'illegal' infliction is 'callous'.

Whew!

As I have stated several times, in boxing both parties enter the ring
knowing the other guy is pretty much hell-bent on knocking him out. Is
that also true in football?

Also, boxers are watched carefully for fouls. If they foul too many
times, they lose the match. If they go overboard, they are tossed out of
the sport. In football, a foul costs the team yardage. Football rules
are softer.

You need to relearn some of the rules, penalties, costs of personal fouls, etc. in pro football.
Yardage is the least of the costs.

Whether legal or illegal, your stance on personal injuries is quite inconsistent. Holding this view,
"The 'legal' infliction of injury is suitable. The 'illegal' infliction is 'callous'," seems quite
illogical.

Enough on the subject.