Willem Amels

Default Software to graph NMEA Windspeed

Hello Glen,

The tool we are developing does not yet produce polars from actual data.
However it does compare the actual data to a theoretical polar coming
from e.g. a IMS certificate.

I have been collecting data for half a year now, and found that the
fluctuations to the incoming data ("noise") affect the calculations very
much. We have therefore included extensive filtering capablities to get
reliable data to input into the polars.

The next step in the development is an analysing tool to go through the
collected data and establish a polar based on actual data.

Willem Amels

Glenn Ashmore wrote in

While you guys are working on programs, I want to see one that
produces polars from actual data. Say you would set the sea state and
then when you get the boat really cooking you hit a button and it
records the wind data and boat speed. Then it would sort it all out
and plot polars for each sea state.

Another option would be to just constantly record the data and then
use peak boat speeds maintained for more than say 30 seconds to select
the points to plot.

It would be really interesting to invite a hotshot crew of racing
sailors to sail a boat and produce a set of polars then do the same
with your regular crew and try to match the results. It would be a
great way to refine sail trim and helm techniques.

Willem Amels wrote:

Hello Glen,

Hello,

We have a tool under development which graphs wind speed and
direction and much more. You can set the time span from 1 minute
until 16 hours and the program offers many options for filtering and
averaging the data.

If you combine it with a screen capture facility and automatic FTP it
may do the job for you.

You can download a 30 day trial version
at:
http://www.nauticis.com/download/supernova.rar