Ian Malcolm

Default PCMCIA to USB?

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Sorry. I can't find them, either.....

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 23:02:33 GMT, Dick Locke
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:30:38 GMT, Dick Locke
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:22:46 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Works fine. Tiger Direct has them....
www.tigerdirect.com....about $39

Larry, thanks for the advice, but are you sure we're talking about the
same thing? Tiger direct doesn't have this or as near as I can tell
anything like it. Other stores have it in the $80-$100 range. This is
PCMCIA female to USB male. Tiger seems to only have the other way
around.

Forgive me for replying to myself, but I just thought of how my
message could be misunderstood. Let me rephase:

I want to plug some radio equipnment that terminates with a male
pcmcia card into a computer that only has female USB sockets
available.

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

PCMCIA is basically a PC ISA bus with a few extra signals to handle
configuration and card insertion/removal. (CARDBUS is something else as
it can switch into a PCI mode)

It seems rather unlikely that anyone has a general purpose product that
virtulises then serialises the PCMCIA bus over USB because performance
would SERIOUSLY SUCK.

I belive there are a few products that can access memory cards, but I dont
think they will talk to a more general purpose I/O card.

At this point, if the PC has a PCI slot, get a PCI PCMCIA controller card,
I was looking at one yesterday which had twin pcmcia sockets in a pod
connected to it that mounts in a 3.5" bay for about £70. Should be fully
compatible with all operating systems that support PCMCIA. OTOH, if the
pc is a laptop with no PCMCIA slots, you got no choice but change it.
(or if you've allready filled up its slots, juggle your priorities and see
if you can get a USB version of any of the other devices)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but thats how it is.
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot moulded
wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961