posted to rec.boats.building

Default Braking Aluminum

"chaniarts" wrote in message
On 12/30/2011 12:22 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I have a copy of Pollards aluminum boat building book, and I have read
it. It looks like he mostly plans on boats to be all cut pieces and
welded. That's great for big boats or even for some small boats, but
braking seems like it would make more sense if you have access to a
brake big enough. Some of the small boat designs (think shallow draft
skinny water boats) would really benefit from a mostly bent hull.
Aluminum sheet can be had in pieces large enough to make most of a hull
out of one sheet. Some cutting and welding is still needed obviously,
but if you could brake the keel, chines, and bottom of the transom only
welding the front and the sides in the back you would have an inherently
stronger and more rigid boat for rough service.

The problem of course is how do you brake a piece of metal that big?

Yeah I know a giant hydraulic brake would be a good answer for the
commercial boat builder once they have the capital for it, but how does
the backyard boat builder do it? Are they stuck with all cut and welded
pieces, or hauling their sheet to somebody with a giant brake to do it
for them (if there even is somebody with a brake big enough in the area
that hires out)?

there's a lot of good knowledge in rec.crafts.metalworking that might help
with this topic.

Thanks. I am a regular in that group, and I got some feedback on this topic
there too.