Larry W4CSC

Default NMEA Multiplexing ?

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:12:19 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I don't want to steer or control the AP from the GPS since it is too
difficult to program in the WPs and Routes. (being an older gps that I can't
upload these from the laptop.)

You may not want to steer directly from the hard-to-set-up GPS
waypoint NOW, sitting here smiling at the dock.....but I disagree in
not setting the system up to provide it with a direct switching
arrangement bypassing all the fluff when you need that damned AP
hooked to the surviving old GPS in a full gale to steer the course
while you're trying to shorten sails before they blow out.

The switch path on Lionheart looks like:

gps source sw
GARMIN 185-- | ------RAYMARINE RL70CRC PLUS

| emerg/normal sw
MPX in 1----------|---------- |--------Network Out

DSC RADIOS
AUTOPILOT
all other NMEA listeners

Network Out comes from the switch between multiplexer (MPX) outputs TX
(no computer) and TLK (from The Cap'n). Selecting EMERG on the bottom
switch and either surviving GPS source on the top switch continues to
steer the autopilot and update the DSC position data DIRECTLY from ONE
GPS talker, bypassing the multiplexer and other instruments in an
emergency situation. I like lots of backup paths that do NOT require
"wiring in the storm".

Thanks for the reassurance.. means I should check my wiring, etc.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?