Larry W4CSC

Default You can Help ;;;

Will you be using it primarily with the laptop running software such
as The Cap'n? If so, maybe a better way to go is to get a more
accurate GPS with the money instead of an extra display you wouldn't
use much, like the Raystar 120 NMEA, which is a Satellite Differential
GPS receiver, NMEA output data, built right into the antenna pod.....

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/P...oduct _id=147

WAAS/GPS is so accurate if you waypoint a bouy you'll run right over
it. We're using the Raystar 120 SeaTalk for primary navigation with
the Raymarine SL70CRC Plus radar/chartplotter display and 2KW radar on
a ketch. Secondary GPS is a Garmin 185 with the chart plugs in it.
You can see the Garmin's inaccuracy from the radar's chart most any
time. For serious navigation in the fog, WAAS-GPS is the way to go,
now......3 meters worst case....usually much closer.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:32:44 -0300, "Duke-it"
wrote:

I would like to hear some opinion's on the latest GPS's

I am about to purchase one, maybe the Garmin 72 or 76
It has to be able to plug into a Laptop.
I will be using it on a Cape Island style Lobster boat of 36' long. Won't be
going far this year but would like to travel down the Nova Scotia coastline
next year.

Thanks for your time

Gus

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.