Jere Lull

Default good points, Larry.....

JAD wrote:

I started another thread on this very subject under "open mikes on radios"
above. Let's hope some uniformed or undereducated boaters read this....

VHF has become a joke here on the upper Chesapeake.....especially on the
weekends. A useful tool has become another plaything....especially with
"conversations" taking place on 16. The Coast Guard groups Philly and
Baltimore are constantly warning people about it.....and it continues......

I wish folks would THINK before they mash that mike button down......

There are always dolts like that, though I admit I sometimes forget
which channel I'm on, so sometimes AM the dolt ;-)

But I'd rather the yahoos had their VHF radios on to maybe hear distress
calls than "force" them to cell phones or some other sort of radio. I've
lost track of the number of boats we had to serve as "point" for: They
didn't use or maintain their equipment and when they really needed to
get out, the could hardly reach us 100 yards away. We had to guide the
tow boats in and relay communications. If they had found out that they
didn't get out before then, in a non-emergency situation, they might
have gotten things fixed for when it mattered.

I get annoyed about improper ettiquette, too, but figure they'll
eventually learn as they hear others do it (more) properly.

--
Jere Lull