Richard Malcolm

Default alternator charging to high?

hey guys, thanks for your messages. I will reread them and then
proceed, but first let me update. great weekend on the boat with no
problems. went to rockport,mass.
I have a couple of thoughts. first the inverter, it is a xantrex 1750.
I did install it myself, with 5ft 4o cables with a 250Ma fuse
(something like that, installed not in the engine compartment to keep
spars away from engine. I use the inverter mostly for 2 things. 1 a
900 watt microwave oven for 3 minutes or so at a time, and 2 a CPAP
machine, which I used to help me breathe when I sleep, so it is on for
7 hours or so. The CPAP machine worked OK last year with my 300 watt
inverter which plugged into the cig lighter, but that connection was a
joke. I have not worn the battery down to the point that it could not
start the engine in the morning. However, I ussally start the engine
with the other battery.
2- I have been told not to switch the battery switch while the engine
is running. this is something that I have been doing, My question is
if I ran down one battery and started the engine on the other, how to
I charged the weak battery without switching the switch while the
engine is running?
3- I have borrowed the battery tester and have a multi meter (not
digital, but I should invest in one)

tommorow, I plan to test the batteries by doing the following. Does
this sound right. First, turn battery switch to off, connect the
tester to battery one, push button on tester, hold for 10 seconds and
read. repeat for battery 2. Then turn battery switch to battery 1,
hook up tester to battery one, start engine and read the tester. turn
engine off, switch to battery 2, and repeat. this will help me decide
if battery or charger is working right.
this is where I will start. (keep in mind that I have made an
appointment with my regular boat mechanic for wed, but would like to
learn as much as possible before I have the pros take over. I
understand that removing the altenator is not to tough of a job. any
opinions? Thanks again for all your help.