Larry W4CSC

Default alternator charging to high?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:56:57 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

A couple of thoughts: 1) A group 27 battery is MUCH too small for a
1,750 watt inverter. 2) If you are going to troubleshoot and
maintain the system yourself, you need to invest in a good digital
multimeter and take the time to learn some basic electronic skills.
3) At this point there is some risk that you've blown the diodes in
your alternator. I'd recommend getting a experienced mechanic to check
it out.

You don't say what kind of inverter you have, or what
engine/alternator combination. Did you install the inverter yourself?
Is you alternator up to recharging a large battery bank , or do you
have a generator and external charger?

I also agree with Wayne. 1750 watts at 12V is gonna draw 150-160 amps
off those batteries at full power and will warp the hell out of the
lead plates in the batteries which aren't designed for this CONTINUOUS
a FEW SECONDS, then require long cooling periods to let the
electrolyte cool the poor plates. One session with a hair dryer
drawing 1250 watts (probably about 110-120A) is enough to destroy
them.

The shorting plates may be what's blowing the battery fuse link.

AS you've already got the oversized inverter noone should be allowed
to produce and sell to consumers, the only safe thing would be to put
a SINGLE 30A fuse in it to prevent the family from overheating the
batteries in the future......or getting some seriously HUGE, HEAVY
batteries that can sink this kind of loading.....

Sorry I didn't address this issue in my first post...thanks Wayne.

Nothing is funnier than seeing a boater with a new 4KW inverter
carrying his electric heater down the dock with a big smile on his
face.....(c;

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.