Wayne.B

Default alternator charging to high?

A couple of thoughts: 1) A group 27 battery is MUCH too small for a
1,750 watt inverter. 2) If you are going to troubleshoot and
maintain the system yourself, you need to invest in a good digital
multimeter and take the time to learn some basic electronic skills.
3) At this point there is some risk that you've blown the diodes in
your alternator. I'd recommend getting a experienced mechanic to check
it out.

You don't say what kind of inverter you have, or what
engine/alternator combination. Did you install the inverter yourself?
Is you alternator up to recharging a large battery bank , or do you
have a generator and external charger?

On 17 Aug 2003 06:36:11 -0700,
(Richard Malcolm) wrote:
I believe that my alternator is over charging. If this is so, I guess
that the regulator is not working right. here's my story. 93 four
winns/omc/ford/king cobra. one new 27 battery beginning of the season
the boat has 2. put in 1750 watt inverter this year. when engine is
running and on battery #2, the invertor reads that it is getting to
much power and shuts off, so I use it without the engine running or
when the switch is set to the other battery. 3 weeks ago the main fuse
(on the engine) popped while I was cruising. the voltage gage on the
dash read that I was chargining way to high until I reset the circuit
breaker. All seemed fine for a few weeks. yesterday, the main breaker
popped twice. I am going to take it to a pro if I can find one who has
the time to look at it. What else should I do or look for. hoping to
learn some as well as get the boat fixed. the boat has 2 gages to read
the batteries. one on the dash and one down below. I know that it
should be tested with external meters, but I do not know what or how,
but want to learn.

thanks